Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Be Nice or Leave"

Last night and this morning I have had alot on my mind.  Besides the fact that Chado is gone for the week, I have been thinking about myself and how I handle criticism, rejection, and even positive praise.  A few weeks ago in our RCIA Class @ St. Thomas Moore we were asked to receive a compliment and do just that ~ receive the compliment and say only Thank You, instead of spouting out why we were just doing what we do, or where we got our shoes and how much we paid for them or whatever .... just the simple act of receiving something positive isn't always the easiest thing to do.  I am a talker ~ we all know this ~ so just saying thank you was difficult.  In my every day life ~ I think I should try this out, even if the comment isn't positive or praiseful ~ maybe learning to zip it a little more often would help out with some of my self worry and indecisiveness issues.  Maybe yes ~ Maybe no ~ not sure until I apply the concept and actually follow through.

I say all this because recently some things have occurred in my life that make me wonder ~ even as an adult, being rejected for whatever reason still hurts and stings like it used to for me as a child.  OK, maybe not quite as much, but the sting remains.  In our lives, it isn't possible for everyone to like us, to make everyone around us happy or even to be told the truth by everyone.  When some say something to you and then their actions show a different position ~ it hurts and maybe that doesn't change no matter how old we get.  All relationships, including friendships, are tricky and I think I have finally found the catch.  A true friendship may have a rough patch or two, but it doesn't get tricky.  You might disagree or even get angry or frustrated, but the friendship itself is never questioned.  I think even at this age I still long for those relationships, because so many around us seem to say one thing and do another.  This reality of human nature seems to force many of us to keep our guards up and the sad part about it, is that who really wants to live behind that wall?

Life moves on and so do relationships ~ some come, some go and then some real relationships stay.  I guess all I can do is to quit worrying about what others do or say, and start to think and pay more attention to how I can stay.  I've always heard that you can't do wrong and get by ~ that old saying has never been more true in my life than now.

A pizza place in Memphis (The Memphis Pizza Cafe) used to have a sign up that said "Be Nice or Leave".  I am thinking maybe I should find somewhere to post that here in our home.  Wonder if anyone would notice that the sign applied to not only children, but to adults as well?

Maybe I should learn to accept that some people go and that isn't always my fault ~ it might not be any one's fault, and really, why should it matter anyway?  We are who we are and if we try to leave each person a little happier than we found them, then that should be OK.  It should be more than OK ... it should be good and maybe, just maybe, I will learn to live by the words I just typed.

Take care, y'all. 

1 comment: