Monday, November 1, 2010

Tricks, Treats & Real Life ~ What To Do????


So, the weekend of birthdays, costumes, & candy is over.  I have to say that Halloween this year was different ~ Sierra went on her own with a friend & the twins were both excited and actually said Trick or Treat without being prompted by Chad and I.  Riley has some sinus stuff going on, so, I think that people thought she was probably giving the gift that keeps on giving, as she coughed and sneezed at their door.  The coughing and sneezing was probably in their candy bowl which they promptly sprayed down with Lysol after we left.  Funny thing ~ after she got indoors in the warm air the coughing and sneezing stopped.  Good for her, but good for us, because I am just not ready for fall/winter colds yet.  I know they are coming ~ just want a few more weeks before we stock up on Benadryl, Sudafed, Robitussin, Motrin & various other goodies for our medicine basket.

I have so much I want to put into this blog, but I think I will keep some of my opinions to myself, because you know what people say about opinions.  In another part of my mind, I keep thinking if I can't share on my own blog then why have it in the first place.



I find it amazing that people who don't live in your shoes are quick to judge your life and the way that you handle it.  I mean, really, we all do the best we can in our situations and last time I checked, negative criticism is not something anyone wants to hear.  As much as I would like to say that my life is a bowl of cherries, it isn't.  Chad and I are parents to three children ~ a 14 year old and 3 year old twins, including one with autism.  Sometimes times are tough, but it doesn't mean that we don't love each other or our families or even our lives.  They say God never gives us more than we can handle, and I believe that, but sometimes hanging on for the ride he sets before us gets difficult.  Our love keeps our family together and that is good for me.  We find time for each other somehow in all the craziness ~ and sometimes joking and kidding is all that helps us get through.  It might not work for everyone, but it works for us, and that is ok with me.  Over the last five years we have worked out a way to make our lives together all we wanted ~ kids might change that, but in all honesty, they really only make it better.

Connor's therapy at school is going well.  At times we are still dealing with fits and frusturation from him, but mainly because his language is not up to where it should be and he doesn't know how to express to us what he wants.  In the grocery store the other night, it was only Connor and I, and a woman asked me what was wrong with him.  Although my first reaction was to be defensive and spout something rude, I held onto my tongue and politely explained that he was autistic.  As I walked away from her and pushed my shopping cart with Connor "driving" the car at the bottom, my heart hit a snag and I had to really fight to keep the tears back.  I know that he is going to face adversity and difficulties, but as a parent, I realize that as he gets older I can't shelter him forever.  When others say that I will have to learn to deal with that, it makes my heart break a little bit more, because they just don't understand the fight we are and will continue to be in the midst of.  I love my children more than I could ever express ~ and just the thought of him facing that sort of rude questioning pulls at me, even as I am typing this.  Yes, you pull yourself up by your boot straps, but that doesn't mean that in all that pulling there isn't pain in getting the straps all the way up.



As the twins were trick or treating, Chad and I giggled as Connor walked away from Riley and she fussed and told him to come hold her hand.  I told Chat that maybe that will be a positive in the future ~ usually the brother defends and takes care of his sister, but this time, maybe Riley will do for Connor what we can't always be there to do.  Life is funny, but I love mine, and I don't think I would change a single thing.  Adversity makes us stronger and if I hadn't gone through many of the situations I have faced, I just don't think I could look at life with my eyes wide open.  Our time on this earth is too short to view things with racism or ignorance or non acceptance ~ being loving and embracing all that we can learn about is all I ever want to do and hopefully, by example from Chad and myself, we can teach our children to do the same.



Have a great week, y'all ~ Remember to hug your babies ~ they seem to grow up way too fast and one day they will be way too old to trick or treat with Mom & Dad and you wonder as they walk out the door where in the world all the time has gone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment