Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blah ... Blah .... Blah .....

The last few days have felt like I am sitting in the Peanut's classroom listening to the teacher talk at an endless rate.  Only negative is that I can't find Snoopy and keep hearing the teacher.  At least if I could find the Red Baron aka Snoopy I could have something to focus on besides the endless jabber that I can't tune out.

As I was waiting outside our home for the bus to pick up Connor for his morning prek program, my mind began to race 4037 miles a minute.  Halloween is coming, Connor's hair is so shaggy I think the people will think that nobody loves him, Sierra needs a costume, Riley's hair is a rat's nest of curls that has to be untangled before our RCIA (Catholic) classes tonight, Chad is frusturated with Sierra, Sierra is frusturated with everyone, and so the list continues.  You might ask why Connor's hair is so shaggy ... a simple haircut will fix that, right?  Wrong in our case.  Because Connor has autism, oops, did I actually say that word out loud and acknowledge in front of others that he really does have a developmental disorder that is also know as an Autistic Disorder?  Guess I did ~ the cat is out of the bag.  Connor's autism makes many things more difficult ~ a haircut being near the top of the list.  I mean, really, he and I weren't kicked out, I mean asked to leave, the little Great Clips haircut shop down the road for no reason.  When they ask you to come back when he is older and more able to handle the horrible and awful process known as a haircut, I call that being given the boot.  Not only was I told this, but, lol, it was computerized noted by his name and birthdate in their system.  Can you get fake ids at 3?  Anyway, past all my rambling, I say that because Connor is more petrified of hair scissors and clippers than any kid I know.  They come one way and he struggles to go the other way.  Somehow he and Chad have figured out a way where when he is with Chad he can walk out of the Barber Shop with a somewhat close to even haircut.  The poor barber does the best he can, but, when you the parent are having to hold a toddler's head in both hands so that the hair can look decent, I can assure you it is not a fun nor easy process for anyone involved, most importantly Connor.  Chad tries to take him when the shop isn't crowded because the number of people in the shop affect Connor's edginess (is that a word?) level.  We have decided that Chad will be in charge of haircuts for Connor ~ me for Riley ~ and that is ok because that is what works for us.  I would love to say our family is the picture of perfection, but reality stinks sometimes, and our reality is just that ~ our reality.  So, I suppose I will keep wetting his hair in the morning and combing it down before going out to wait for the bus.  Ooops , forgot to add that while waiting for the bus I do the old lick the hand and try to push the cowlicks down in the back that most all mothers do at some point or another.  Oh well ~ not a big battle to fight when compared to the life many others are facing.




Please notice in the above photo that even a pony saddle chair, a sippy cup, and goofy animal drape do not put a smile on Mr. Perkin's face.  And here is the best part ... they haven't even started yet ... he is only smirking because he knows what is about to come and his little mind is trying to decide the best way to get out of that stupid smock and head out the door.


What will be a fight is Riley's first haircut, being that she has never had one.  Her curls might be cute but a pain to keep up with (Mikah, if you are reading this I have no doubt you can understand).  The day that we head into a salon with little Ms. Riley I might need a sedative of some sort ~ not might, probably definitely.  Enough about haircuts ~ even I am tired of thinking about it.

Tonight we have our RCIA classes at ST. Thomas Moore @ 7:00.  I am really enjoying the classes and for that little time in my life it doesn't sound like "Womp Whomp Whomp Womp Whomp Womp".  Maybe we all find a way to tune into what we care about.  I care about my family more than I could ever put into words, but I finish this post wondering why I can listen and be emotionally present at this class, when so many other times in my life I embrace the teacher from the Peanuts.  Anyone have an answer I would be glad to give you more than a cookie ~ I might give you Connor to take for a haircut :).

Have a good Thursday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment